Sunday, January 30, 2011

Review - NYX Black Label Lipstick with swatches

In light of the Cherry Culture sale going on now, I decided to review my favorite lippies from the NYX Collection - the Black Label Lipsticks!

The Round lipsticks are probably the most well known of the NYX brand, but I definitely prefer the Black Label lipsticks - both provide excellent coverage and color, but the BLL offers higher quality, more product, and most importantly (to me at least) - Moisture!

The Black label lipsticks come prepackaged in thin paper boxes - the lipstick itself is housed in a shiny square plastic tube.

Black label lipsticks

The lipsticks swiveled up with and without flash

Black Label Lipsticks open

NYX black label lipstick no flash

*Swatches*

Black Label Lipstick swatches

***

The lipstick feels very slippery and smooth and glides on the lips with ease - the lipstick tastes like grapes which I found rather pleasant.

*Nude*
An opaque nude that provides excellent coverage - this particular nude leans a tiny bit towards the pink side

NYX BLL Nude

***

*India*
An orange-y opaque nude

NYX BLL India

*Girly Pink*
A shimmery baby pink

NYX BLL Girly Pink

*Diva*
Easily my favorite of the bunch, and definitely the most wearable. A very pretty mauvey-pink

NYX BLL Diva

The downside of the packaging is the base of lipstick is not labeled - if you misplace the cap, there's no way of identifying the lipstick by name!

I actually love these lipsticks more than MAC since they don't dry me out and they feel oh-so good on the lips! They offer a large array of colors in varying finishes and are under $10. (If you purchase during a Cherry Culture sale, they should be around $4.80 USD a pop!)

Pros

Price - nab em' when they go on sale!
Great Quality
Moisturizing
Mild and pleasant taste
Wide variety of colors and finishes
Most colors have excellent coverage (one swipe!)
Sturdy packaging
No animal testing


Cons


X Limited availability
X Can't really think of anything else

I don't understand why these aren't more wildly popular! I can't rave enough!

Rating: ♥♥ (5/5)


FYI, the CherryCulture Sale is 20% off the entire site with code VDS20
**Sale ends tomorrow, Feb 1st!**

***

Today was another 'late' day at work. I'm getting home an hour+ later than normal and it's throwing me off! To keep my energy (and spirts up) I need to continue my dedication to power-walking with my favorite Liz!

In random news...

Super cute sleep shorts from Juicy Couture

Juicy shorts


My JILL STUART package arrived!!! I am HEAD OVER HEELS in love. Will post swatches soon! :)

Take care and drive safe out there if you are in the colder parts of the world - it's supposed to go from the 60s to near freezing tomorrow here in Texas. Brrrrr....

25 comments:

Donna said...

I want that Diva shade! :D thank you for the swatches! i haven't tried any nyx lipsticks but i'm definitely sold into finding and trying the black label ones first since you said that it's moisturizing :)

Yumiko said...

hey irene,

the cold weather is hitting TX too? I'm surprised. I love the lip swatches. I tried them at a beauty store, and I definitely like the girly pink on you. I hope you don't work too hard and be able to get some time for yourself hun!

take cares.

Lisa said...

ohhh love the nude and diva shades and love the pretty black lace packaging!!!

question - where did you order your jill stuart makeup stuff if you don't mind me asking.. the only place i can find it is on ebay.. but i don't really like ordering from ebay. could you please let us know where you ordered it from??? thanks so much!!!

www.lisalovescoco.blogspot.com

Shop N' Chomp said...

Ooh, you got your package! Can't wait to see your goodies, Irene. =D I love your Juicy sleep shorts and thank you for the NYX pics! Their Round lipsticks didn't work for me so I'm hoping these will.

STAY WARM!!

Melanie Busby said...

This is a great post Irene! Thank you for the reviews and swatches!

Kisses, Melanie

rae630 said...

OH! I LOVE LOVE LOVE India and Diva on you. I must go and check them out for myself! Oh, JIll Stuart package! Super exciting! Keep Warm!!! <3 Rina

sugar sugar said...

I love Girly Pink & Diva on you dear! :) Will check the BL lippies too since you said they're moisturizing. :3

Penelope said...

such a great post! The colours look great on you!

Donna said...

i'm following you now tooooo!

i only wish that people that create bb creams expand the range of their shades -___-. i wanted to try it but it seems like most of their shades are super light :(

thank you again :)

Dyna said...

Thanks for swatching, I love the nude one :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Irene! All the lipstick looks really beautiful on you.. especially with the last 3. I would like to say a BIG THANK you for supporting apopofkawaii.com! <33 Happy Lunar New Year in advance!

Anita said...

I love Nyx! The lipsticks look so prettty, definitely need to pick up some~ Girly pink looks gorg :)

나니 said...

Woah they look so nice! : D

Shop N' Chomp said...

Girl, I am not brave at all! In fact, my eyes were covered during all the scary/weird scenes...haha! But you must see Inception. I think it's out on DVD already? :)

Thedreamsofanizzyinabigwildworld:) said...

Cute colours :0
<3 the names too!
<3 your bloggie :)
Izzy xx
http://belleoftheblush.blogspot.com/

missmercurylady said...

Girly Pink looks so good. I love that color. Great review.

나니 said...

Thanks so much : D I actually got the purse on YesStyle.

MissS.elle said...

I was able to try the black label lipstick too and I agree with you, its freaking moisturizing <3 I love the India shade!!

Anonymous said...

I agree Diva looks the prettiest of the bunch! and the swatches look super moisturizing indeed, cant wait to try these once i get my hands on them.

Irene said...

@Melanie - Thank you hun! I love sharing whatever I can find ^_^

@Rina - I love NYX products and I bet LA has actual shops stocked to the ceiling with them! Which is your favorite color?

@Sugarsugar - Oooh let me know which ones you decide to try, I'm always on the lookout for new exciting colors to try!

@Penelope, Donna, Dyna - Thanks ladies! :)

@NicNic - is NYX popular in Japan? I think I saw a few magazine adds for it awhile back ~ if you ever want to try any colors, let me know and I can send you a few :) Oh, and I have been dying to buy something from Apopofkawaii for awhile, your site is AWESOME and I love supporting my fellow bloggers ;)

@Tata and 나니 - Thanks ladies, let me know if you decide to give some colors a try! :)

@Lisa - I really am going to watch Inception though some people claim it was a bit creepy too...I think that's the extent I can handle T_T

@TheDreams and MissMercury - Thanks *^_^*

@LittleMokaa - Hey girl! You really could rock any color, I would give it a try :)

@Jessica - yes yes yes, please let me know which shades you try! I ordered a few more colors to try out and will swatch again once they arrive in the mail :) BTW, I love how you can rock red lips!

Jenni said...

Hi Irene! thanks for sharing your monthly favourite products in your comment :) i love how India and Girly Pink looks, all 4 shades look very pleasant I must say!

Hit me up when you visit HK sometime in the future ^_^ and I always offer custom-purchase for nearly every brand for bloggers...lol

hair mask = basically like a conditioner? You apply it after washing your hair with shampoo, leave it on for 5 minutes then wash =) that stuff is amazing!

The Odd and Chic said...

Love makeup posts!

I'm your newest follower. Stop by sometime!

http://www.oddandchic.com

xxx

Cinnabunnie said...

thanks for dropping by and following (L)
beautiful swatches! i love the diva colour too! they all look so moisturizing. you can see the shine that it gives ^^

Unknown said...

The baby pink shade is SOOOO pretty!! Do you wear these on a daily basis?!! How would you compare them w/the Round lipsticks? :)

Jean said...

Irene! I read this on my phone so long ago and kept the page open because I have a burning question for you. I finally remember today while on my computer to come ask : ) I got some NYX lipsticks from a kind blogger, however none of the colors are working for me! They come out really frosty looking on my lips and you can definitely tell my natural lip color is many shades different than the lipsticks.

I have India like in your photos, and it does not look like that on my lips (very frosty on me). Did you put anything on your lips as a base before applying? I'd love to have it come out like in your photos! Thanks for the review of the other colors too...they all look very creamy and pretty on you.

PS - love the new banner! Even though it's not "new" anymore...but I meant to say that a while back : )